HDHomerun problems

Here you can ask your questions on how to use Comskip for the detection of commercials. Also questions on how to remove commercials are welcome
Stuntman

HDHomerun problems

Post by Stuntman »

I get a LOT of the following in my comskip log fore each recording. Can anybody tell me what this is saying? Is this a problem, or just harmless information...

THanks!

Audio PTS jumped -2860453 frames at frame 11193, audio may get out of sync
Audio PTS jumped 1 frames at frame 11199, repairing timeline
Audio PTS jumped 1 frames at frame 11224, repairing timeline
Audio PTS jumped 2860329 frames at frame 11287, audio may get out of sync
Video PTS jumped 2860328 frames at frame 11309, frame numbers may be incorrect
Video PTS jumped -2860447 frames at frame 11311, frame numbers may be incorrect
Audio PTS jumped 2 frames at frame 11295, repairing timeline
Audio PTS jumped -2860453 frames at frame 11314, audio may get out of sync
Audio PTS jumped 1 frames at frame 11316, repairing timeline
erik
Site Admin

Re: Log data...

Post by erik »

Is the resulting commercial detection quality OK?
This could be caused by reception errors in a digital stream cause by weak antenna signal.
Comskip is design to handle these kind of errors during normal scanning but previewing in the debugwindow will be a problem.
Could you set
output_timing=1
in your comskip.ini and mail me the generated large recordingname.timing.csv file? (do zip before mailing)
Stuntman

Post by Stuntman »

Sent!

Thanks!
erik
Site Admin

Post by erik »

Indeed, MANY errors.
HDHomerun with bad signal has a lot of difficulty to generate good timing info, but it does not seem to cause problems.
But I would not mind receiving a say 100MByte recording to double check.
Can you upload to my FTP server?
erik
Site Admin

HDHomerun problems

Post by erik »

Last night I tried to watch that episode of Jericho that I sent you a snip from.. the timeline looked good, the commercial skips looked good.. but the video when played seemed to skip in 3 second intervals.. as if I was fast forwarding!! I looked at last nights LOST and saw the same thing! I'm not sure if this is an HDHOMERUN issue now, or what..
The timeline is severely corrput. This is typical for HDHomerun on a not too good (bad) signal.
The frame PTS goes from 1 to around 106, than jumps to HEX FFFFFFF1, starts counting again crossing 0 and up till around 106, then again the jump to around FFFFFFF1
Could you do anything to improve the signal quality?
Even VLC does have problems playing the recording

I have released build 125 with a HDHomerun specific fix for an audio problem. Could you test? Do set max_repair_size=0 in your comskip.ini file
Stuntman

Re: HDHomerun problems

Post by Stuntman »

erik wrote:
Last night I tried to watch that episode of Jericho that I sent you a snip from.. the timeline looked good, the commercial skips looked good.. but the video when played seemed to skip in 3 second intervals.. as if I was fast forwarding!! I looked at last nights LOST and saw the same thing! I'm not sure if this is an HDHOMERUN issue now, or what..
The timeline is severely corrput. This is typical for HDHomerun on a not too good (bad) signal.
The frame PTS goes from 1 to around 106, than jumps to HEX FFFFFFF1, starts counting again crossing 0 and up till around 106, then again the jump to around FFFFFFF1
Could you do anything to improve the signal quality?
Even VLC does have problems playing the recording

I have released build 125 with a HDHomerun specific fix for an audio problem. Could you test? Do set max_repair_size=0 in your comskip.ini file
Okay, I have installed build 125 and made the adjustment to the .ini file you suggested.

What would you like me to report back?

I will try to clean up my signal.. I have it split so many ways for so many tuners.. and my wife likes having cable come to the TV's themselves.. I probably split my signal 7 ways now!
erik
Site Admin

Post by erik »

Does comskip always detect the sound? look near the end of the log file, there should never be
Maximum volume found: 0
Can you use the comskip output for commercial skipping?
May I suggest you add a antenna amplifier before you start to split 7 ways :)
Stuntman

Post by Stuntman »

erik wrote:Does comskip always detect the sound? look near the end of the log file, there should never be
Maximum volume found: 0
Can you use the comskip output for commercial skipping?
May I suggest you add a antenna amplifier before you start to split 7 ways :)
I get my video via cable, and I do have an amplifier on it! I am looking at maybe trying OTA for my HD then I'd have a couple less splits. Comskip generally does a very good job, it gets confused on occasion when some shows change their logos during the show.. I've seen this a lot lately.. where it may show the "CBS" logo, then later in the same episode it may say "CBS HD" or something.. in the same location.. Does comskip look for more than the first logo it finds?

I'll go back and check to see if I find any volume=0 in my logs.. Do you want me to look back before version 125?
erik
Site Admin

Post by erik »

No need to test with old versions. If build 125 always detects sound on HDHomerun recordings I am happy.
Comskip can relearn a second logo. Would be nice to check if that works. But Comskip can not use two logo's as it assumes that there is only one logo used on one show. If that assumption is wrong I have to work on the logic
But I will need some test material for that.
Stuntman

Post by Stuntman »

erik wrote:No need to test with old versions. If build 125 always detects sound on HDHomerun recordings I am happy.
Comskip can relearn a second logo. Would be nice to check if that works. But Comskip can not use two logo's as it assumes that there is only one logo used on one show. If that assumption is wrong I have to work on the logic
But I will need some test material for that.
Thanks for the info! I will watch the next few days and look to see if any of the logs report no sound.

I'll also watch for shows that alternate logos.. maybe others have seen this as well??

Thanks again!
iolaus

Post by iolaus »

I appear to be having the same issue with "Video PTS jumped" errors using my HDHR an comskip. I too am using an amplifier and have a significant number of splits in my cable but the HDHR reports all signal readings at 100%. Is there any chance this is an issue with the HDHR recordings themselves and not a problem with poor signal? I'd be happy to send examples if it would be helpful.

Thanks for a great product,
Ryan

P.S. Thought I should mention (although I'm not sure it matters) that I'm using SageTV for the recording.
erik
Site Admin

Post by erik »

The first thing you may want to do for me is to set
verbose=10
output_framearray=1
output_data=1
and
output_timing=1
and run comskip on one of the recordings.
zip and mail me the generated log file, the .csv file, the .timing.csv file and the .data file (if generated) and I will have a look at how severe the problems are.
Then I will ask you to make a small recording (say 100 to 500 MBytes) and upload it to my ftp server
iolaus

Post by iolaus »

erik,

Thanks for your quick reply. I'll do as you suggested this evening and get the results to you.

-Ryan
Stuntman

Post by Stuntman »

iolaus wrote:I appear to be having the same issue with "Video PTS jumped" errors using my HDHR an comskip. I too am using an amplifier and have a significant number of splits in my cable but the HDHR reports all signal readings at 100%. Is there any chance this is an issue with the HDHR recordings themselves and not a problem with poor signal? I'd be happy to send examples if it would be helpful.
I don't know if this applies.. but the problem I was having when I was seeing those errors ended up being not the stream but the speed of my I/O.. in my case I had slow external USB drives.. Windows couldn't write the data to the drives fast enough and the video was getting messed up. I switched to a faster USB card and the problem went away...
iolaus

Post by iolaus »

Stuntman wrote:
iolaus wrote:I appear to be having the same issue with "Video PTS jumped" errors using my HDHR an comskip. I too am using an amplifier and have a significant number of splits in my cable but the HDHR reports all signal readings at 100%. Is there any chance this is an issue with the HDHR recordings themselves and not a problem with poor signal? I'd be happy to send examples if it would be helpful.
I don't know if this applies.. but the problem I was having when I was seeing those errors ended up being not the stream but the speed of my I/O.. in my case I had slow external USB drives.. Windows couldn't write the data to the drives fast enough and the video was getting messed up. I switched to a faster USB card and the problem went away...
I'm certainly hoping this isn't the case for me as I'm writing to a striped pair of SATA drives on a 3ware hardware RAID card but I suppose it wouldn't hurt to check my disk I/O speeds.