Converting .edl into .csv

Here you can ask your questions on how to use Comskip for the detection of commercials. Also questions on how to remove commercials are welcome
kiwijunglist

Converting .edl into .csv

Post by kiwijunglist »

Hi

I have a lot of recordings .ts with associated .edl chapter markers.

I was wanting to compress these using handbrake.
Ideally I'd like to use the chapter markers from the edl file, however handbrake only imports .csv files

Is there a way to convert the edl into csv format?
I tried re-running comskip on a recording using --csvout however it didn't convert/use the existing edl it just re-ran comskip.

Thanks
Kiwi
kiwijunglist

Re: Converting .edl into .csv

Post by kiwijunglist »

On further reading csv is probably not a chapter file for use with mkv.

When I use handbrake to encode my .ts recording it asks for a chapter file and the format is *.csv
Basically I want to create mkvs of my .ts recordings with chapter markers for the commercial breaks
I do not want to remove the commercial breaks.
Is this possible?
erik
Site Admin

Post by erik »

Yes, better use one of the comskip xml output formats that has a data format almost as the csv format you need
kiwijunglist

Post by kiwijunglist »

thanks,

i didn't realise comskip could output xml

mkvmerge supports .xml, .csv , .txt format for chapter files, but can't read the .txt produced by comskip. I will try .xml

is there a way to get comskip to run quickly to produce the xml on a file that is already fully processed by comskip and has an exist .txt chapter file?
erik
Site Admin

Post by erik »

No, only when you have produced a .csv file you can re-run comskip on the .csv file
When you set
verbose=10
comskip will list all possible settings in the log file together with their default of actual values.