Veteran SageTV user w/ general questions

Here you can ask your questions on how to use Comskip for the detection of commercials. Also questions on how to remove commercials are welcome
ToonGal

Veteran SageTV user w/ general questions

Post by ToonGal »

Hi erik!

Saw your post on the SageTV forums, and decided to check it out. Been using comskip forever, and my 'latest' version I've used is v0.64 and v0.66. I can't tell if you are the original author, but I guess that's the point of the post. Replaced it w/ v0.79.24 and seemed to work fine enough, hopefully 'better'. :) Anyway, questions and comments:

- Version displayed w/ program
You should have a 'version' flag as part of the program. Would be nice as a command line option, since not already in the program header, so I can version track what I have easier.

- ccCheck=1
This seems to be in my current .ini file, but MIA in yours. My version seems to use this. Not sure if yours doesn't, removed, or simply never did.

- Other missing parms:
This leads me to believe that I have a comskip from a diff programmer, but interested in knowing any info you have to help. Will obviously test, because better to have a supported version than an outdated one.

Code: Select all

fps=29.97		;frames per second (NTSC=29.970, PAL=25)
border=10 		;border around edge of video to ignore
max_commercial_size=180	;maximum time in seconds for a single commercial or multiple commercials if no breaks in between
min_commercial_size=1   ;mimimum time in seconds for a single commercial
min_show_segment_length=30
output_default=1	;output the default .txt file
min_black_frames_for_break=1;
play_nice_start=0800	;at what time of the day should comskip slow itself down
play_nice_end=0200	;ending time for self slowing
Thanks for the time and any insight or suggestions you have to offer, hun! :)
erik
Site Admin

Re: Veteran SageTV user w/ general questions

Post by erik »

I am not the original author , that was malore, but I continued from where malore/jere_jones stopped

Invoking comskip without parameters will display the version info
The log file contains version info

ccCheck=1 (should) still works, but difficult to test for me (only one CC test stream available)

fps=29.97 No longer needed, is read from the mpeg file
border=10 Still works, is the default
max_commercial_size=180 Still works
min_commercial_size=1 still works but 1 second is a VERY weird value
min_show_segment_length=30 Still works
output_default=1 still works, is the default
min_black_frames_for_break=1 Still works, is the default
play_nice_start=0800 Still works
play_nice_end=0200 Still works

So only additions compared to your current version ;-)
ToonGal

Re: Veteran SageTV user w/ general questions

Post by ToonGal »

erik wrote:I am not the original author , that was malore, but I continued from where malore/jere_jones stopped

Invoking comskip without parameters will display the version info
The log file contains version info

So only additions compared to your current version ;-)
Quick response. Great info. Thanks erik! :)

Good tip on looking at the log. Turns out I was running "Comdetect 0.66", so not sure if that is a version of yours (didn't see in the historical ones). No matter. The latest / greatest worked fine with your .ini file, my .ini file, and my new/updated .ini file. Gotta say, I like it! ;)

Noticed the 'womble' flag. Since I use W's MPEG Vid Wiz all the time, this could come in handy! Only additions indeed! :)

FYI, the comskip 0.79.24 version I have shows no version number when just invoking for me. Even piped it through "more" because it took up more than one page on the display. I'm sure it's me being silly, though. ;)

Always appreciated the work malore/Jere did/do, and happy to see you have taken up the torch! (...and for so long too!) Thanks for the quick response, hun. Will be back, for sure!
jonny

Post by jonny »

By the way, i am pretty sure that the womble output is for MPEG2VCR, not the wizard. You may be able to ask on this board if anyone has a way to convert between the two, but i dont think it is native.

Am I right erik?
erik
Site Admin

Post by erik »

It is indeed for MPEGVCR.
I have never seen the other format.
Anyone have an example?