Black Frame Detection for Splitting Video

Here you can ask your questions on how to use Comskip for the detection of commercials. Also questions on how to remove commercials are welcome
sorefinger

Black Frame Detection for Splitting Video

Post by sorefinger »

I have a lot of mpeg files i need to split up into separate files, each video clip is separated with a 5 sec+ black screen (no sound) between them and have an intro name at the start followed by 1sec black screen then the video clip (so i don't want it to think that the intro is a commercial to cut out). Each mpeg file has 28 clips on it about 1hr 40 mins long, I am capturing them from Karaoke Laserdisc.
It is a pain to split them manually as there are 150 of them !

I just need it to auto sense the black 5 sec+ gaps and cut & save them as INDIVIDUAL files (not one big file ) without re-encoding them.
And what program to use with it to do the cutting.
cbreak came close to doing it but not right.
So i need some sugestions for the comskip.ini

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks.
erik
Site Admin

Post by erik »

Interresting problem, 150 disks, a lot of work anyway.

There is no way you can trick comskip in doing the whole job for you because comskip is not intended to do this.
However, if you run comskip on this content you can tune if to recognize the intro screens as commercials.
The will generate a .txt file containing the start and stop frame numbers of the intro's
Then you will need to create a tool (a bat file, look in comclean_0_0_6.zip for an example) that reads this .txt file and based only on the start frame numbers of the commercials starts to split the mpeg in many small files.
mpgtx should be able to do so but you have to modify the .bat file to call mpgtx for each input fragment and you have to add an incrementing number to generate unique output file names.
If this approach seems feasible for you (meaning you understand how you could create such a bat file) then I can help you to do the right settings for comskip to recognize the intro's as commercials.