Request for INI for HDTV over-the-air

To discuss the tuning of comskip and for posting your ini files
ideaguy

Request for INI for HDTV over-the-air

Post by ideaguy »

Anyone have an INI that works well for over-the-air broadcast HDTV that they would be willing to share?

thanks
erik
Site Admin

Re: Request for INI for HDTV over-the-air

Post by erik »

When you follow the "How to ask for help" sticky topic in the support forum I will be glad to help you tune Comskip. (that is, I will do the tuning for you)
ideaguy

Post by ideaguy »

Okay, I got it all together and emailed you the zip file.

Thanks in advance for any help.
erik
Site Admin

Post by erik »

Thanks,

To make my live easy I would like to receive a .ref file derived from the .txt output file as otherwise I have to manually recalculate the values in the .xml output file to frame numbers.

Here is the .ref fiile I calculated
FILE PROCESSING COMPLETE 239420 FRAMES AT 5994
-------------------
1 7253
45854 53628
84419 95556
128356 144575
166909 184136
201326 217870
229930 230289
When you set
detect_method=11
and
volume_slip=50
you get almost perfect result.

Let me explain why.
The methods disabled with this setting of detect_method are
silence detection: This method is highly susceptible for false positives and should only be used with strong logo when all other methods seem to fail. There is a check against false positives but in your case this fails as all the detected cutpoints seem to be perfectly acceptable (not in the middle of the show).
aspect ratio: During a regular show the aspect ratio does not change. A change of aspect ration nearly always signals a change from show to commercial or other form of advertisement (or the other way around) In your case this seems to go wrong so it should not be used.

Volume_slip: this is the amount of frames the audio and video may be out of sync. Due to decoding errors (bad signal? search the log file for "video PTS jumped") As the sync gets progressively worse the default value (20) is insufficient and has to be enlarged.

Please try the new settings and feedback the results.
ideaguy

Post by ideaguy »

Thanks for the super quick reply. I will try new settings and report back how it goes.

For my future reference, how do I generate a .txt file? As I mentioned I'm using DVRMSToolbox and the INI file I staretd with seems to only generate an .xml file.

Thanks
erik
Site Admin

Post by erik »

set
output_default=1
ideaguy

Post by ideaguy »

All seems to work well. Most of the (few) times when it hasn;t work is with recordings where part of the signal dropped out for a minute or so. Otherwise working great. thanks again. I will be sending a donation your way :D
artisticcheese

Post by artisticcheese »

Can I get that INI file as well? I have the same request (HDTV over the air and poor default perfomance of ComSkip).