Closed Captioning crashing comskip?

Where all the bugs are reported and discussed
msde

Closed Captioning crashing comskip?

Post by msde »

(This is a different show than the other post from a few days ago)

I recorded several shows last week on my hauppauge, with closed-captioning enabled. For the most part, they come out okay, with the comskip.dictionary file adding to the accuracy. However, one of them simply crashes comskip outright. I tried running it on two different machines with output_framearray=1, and it doesn't generate a .csv. It's a 2 hour show, and the log file simply ends abruptly with these lines:

337) S: 27385 E: 27397 L: 16 AND SO EFFECTIVE
338) S: 27408 E: 27424 L: 23 IT COMES WITH BOWFLEX'S
339) S: 27425 E: 27442 L: 28 100

I tried running a tool called mpg2srt to see what would happen, and it also crashes at roughly this spot. ( http://www.htpctools.com/mpg2srt/ ) Do you have any advice on how to go about identifying this problem further? mpgtx seems to create mpgs unusable for closed captioning if I use it to create clips.

On a related note, the closed caption transcript created by comskip is far, far more concise than mpg2srt, which seems to create a new closed caption line for each additional character typed. Is there a tool out there to create srts the same way comskip does, or perhaps a link to a library that comskip uses for closed captioning? I'd really like to get the comskip transcription rather than the raw transcription.
erik
Site Admin

Post by erik »

I can't receive CC so its not very simple to solve these problems.
COuld you use a raw file cutter (to split a file in pieces) to select say 100 MByte around the spot where Comskip crashes and then upload it to my ftp server?
msde

Post by msde »

Sorry about the delay, it took me a little while to figure out how to create a 100 MB clip, and then get it posted.

Edit: clip removed

Where can I find login info for the ftp server?
Last edited by msde on Wed Dec 13, 2006 1:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
erik
Site Admin

Post by erik »

I checked the file and comskip is not crashing so I can't reproduce it.
However there are some unreadable strings in the CC.
Will have to look further.
msde

Post by msde »

Much delayed response, but I think this error went away after a few versions. Don't know why a small clip crashed it, but I believe it went away when you gave comskip more memory.
erik
Site Admin

Post by erik »

:)