Comskip not working when using DVRMS Toolbox

Here you can ask your questions on how to use Comskip for the detection of commercials. Also questions on how to remove commercials are welcome
heffneil

Comskip not working when using DVRMS Toolbox

Post by heffneil »

So I am running comskip in DVRMS Toolbox and it isn't working properly. When I attempt to run comskip from any directory using the full path I get an error saying comcodec.dll can not be found. I copied a copy of it to the system32 directory and attempted to register it but that didn't work either. If I run the comskip.exe in the directory that comskip resides with comcodec.dll it functions perfectly. I am thinking about adding the directory that had comskip in it to the path but I don't think that will make the difference. I am awaiting some response from the author of DVRM but he is very busy and hasn't gotten back to me.

Any thoughts or ideas?

Thanks,

Neil
heffneil

Re: Comskip not working when using DVRMS Toolbox

Post by heffneil »

Any ideas at all? Using the latest donators version?

Thanks!
erik
Site Admin

Post by erik »

I always put comcodec.dll in the same directory as where comskip.exe resides.
Why do it any other way?
heffneil

Post by heffneil »

It still doesn't fix the problem btw. I don't know why but it can not get called properly? The author of dvrms doesn't really have any advice either. I am using SA now and it works but I would prefer to use comskip....
btschuster

Post by btschuster »

Any success in getting comskip to work with the latest version of DVRMSToolbox?
Where is the comcodec.dll found?
I would prefer to use comskip over SA, but right now, there seems to be no choice.
Thanks!
heffneil

Post by heffneil »

I never got it working. Using sa with. I problems
erik
Site Admin

Post by erik »

Any log files that report problems?
Difficult to help without more information
btschuster

Post by btschuster »

I was using the version of comskip that came with the DVRMS 1.2.2.4 install. I had no log files of any kind. I replaced that version with Comskip 0.80.042, added the DVRMS specific lines to the ini file and it all works now.
Thanks for a great tool!
heffneil

Post by heffneil »

Listen I explained how to reproduce this problem over 3 months ago. Anyone with windows 7 can try it but if the DLL isn't the SAME directory in which you instantiate the executable it doesn't work. Very basic and should be easy to reproduce and correct. The lack of response indicates the lack of interest in supporting users.
erik
Site Admin

Post by erik »

Dear Hefneil.

I have been supporting Comskip as a hobby now for over six years.
On my home pvr XP system I run a 4 years old version of comskip because I did not need any new functionality.
I answered about all question posted in this forum myself and have implemented numerious improvements on request of users.
The implementation of WTV and high speed h.264 decoding required me to throw away a lot of functionality and start all over again. As explained I have given priority to this major change instead of small problem solutions.
Hope you can accept that and not regard it as a lack of interest in supporting the users.
heffneil

Post by heffneil »

erik wrote:Dear Hefneil.

I have been supporting Comskip as a hobby now for over six years.
On my home pvr XP system I run a 4 years old version of comskip because I did not need any new functionality.
I answered about all question posted in this forum myself and have implemented numerious improvements on request of users.
The implementation of WTV and high speed h.264 decoding required me to throw away a lot of functionality and start all over again. As explained I have given priority to this major change instead of small problem solutions.
Hope you can accept that and not regard it as a lack of interest in supporting the users.

Fair enough. I supported you and contributed. I am not interested in getting in to a pissing match because this is your home and I am not here to be disrespectful. All I can tell you is I went and bought SA because of the lack of response from here. I needed this functionality fixed and I posted on two different threads and speak often to the author of DVRMS. I do not know what else to ask or do so I moved on. I subscribe to this thread in hopes someone finds a solution or an update corrects the problem. Until then I am a SA user.

Thanks,

Neil
erik
Site Admin

Post by erik »

Did you try both suggested solutions?
The one from btschuster (don't forget to update the ini file) or the new 0.81.011?
heffneil

Post by heffneil »

Nope didn't try that. I am not really even sure what "that" is?
marvin-miller

Post by marvin-miller »

I'm running the latest public comskip with DVRMSToolbox with zero issues - it works perfectly. Mind you, I'm running 3 commercial detection products (the old Show Analyzer, the latest one and Comskip).

Never had an issue with comskip - you just have to ensure that the proper lines are added to the comskip.ini file (I think it's two lines). Of course, part of the reason for that is that I'm running comskip from the native toolbox directory and calling it properly using the toolbox....
heffneil

Post by heffneil »

marvin-miller wrote:I'm running the latest public comskip with DVRMSToolbox with zero issues - it works perfectly. Mind you, I'm running 3 commercial detection products (the old Show Analyzer, the latest one and Comskip).

Never had an issue with comskip - you just have to ensure that the proper lines are added to the comskip.ini file (I think it's two lines). Of course, part of the reason for that is that I'm running comskip from the native toolbox directory and calling it properly using the toolbox....
You are using DVRMS? What two lines are you adding to the ini? I Can't execute comskip properly from the command line if the DLL is in a different directory. The dll could even be within the PATH and it still doesn't work.