How to use the donator version with MCE/DVRms-toolbox

Here you can ask your questions on how to use Comskip for the detection of commercials. Also questions on how to remove commercials are welcome
erik
Site Admin

How to use the donator version with MCE/DVRms-toolbox

Post by erik »

DVRMSToolbox comes with a public version of ComSkip installed. It is located in C:\Program Files (x86)\DVRMSToolbox\Applications

If you want to update the version that comes with DVRMSToolbox, with either the latest public version or the donator version of ComSkip (recommended) you just extract the comskip files to that directory overwriting the existing files.

*Keep in mind, if you have a custom comskip.ini already created you probably don't want to copy over it with the new version - you probably want to keep the one you have or merge your changes with the new comskip.ini*

At that point you have the latest ComSkip version installed.

With respect to adjusting DVRMSToolbox to wait for the recordings to be completely written to before processing with comskip, I believe most of the information given in other threads on this site is incorrect.

The proper way to make DVRMSToolbox wait is by going into DVRMStoMPEGSettings and then clicking on the File Watcher tab. Look for the field called Wait Time (Min) and change it to 10 minutes (or more - 10 minutes has always worked for me).

That setting relates directly to the File Watcher service and is literally the amount of time to wait for a file to stop being written to. My experience has been that 10 minutes is adequate, if you have reason to believe it's not just increase it to whatever number you are comfortable with.

If you haven't already adjusted the comskip.ini file to work with DVRMSToolbox then you need to before it will work.

Go to C:\Program Files (x86)\DVRMSToolbox\Applications\comskip.ini and open the file with a text editor. Look for the line that says output_dvrmstb=0 and change it to output_dvrmstb=1 and then save the file as comskip.ini

At that point go into the services section of your operating system and re-start the file watcher service (it's called DTBService). Or, you can just re-start your computer. You should now be good to go with respect to comskip and the toolbox
craigwillie

Re: How to use the donator version with MCE/DVRms-toolbox

Post by craigwillie »

erik wrote: With respect to adjusting DVRMSToolbox to wait for the recordings to be completely written to before processing with comskip, I believe most of the information given in other threads on this site is incorrect.

The proper way to make DVRMSToolbox wait is by going into DVRMStoMPEGSettings and then clicking on the File Watcher tab. Look for the field called Wait Time (Min) and change it to 10 minutes (or more - 10 minutes has always worked for me).

That setting relates directly to the File Watcher service and is literally the amount of time to wait for a file to stop being written to. My experience has been that 10 minutes is adequate, if you have reason to believe it's not just increase it to whatever number you are comfortable with.
If I want to do Live TV detection on .wtv files with the donators version, what is the proper setup for DVRMSToolbox?
erik
Site Admin

Post by erik »

People report success with the latest comskip build and starting comskip to process a .wtv file 10 minutes after the recording has started.
marvin-miller

Post by marvin-miller »

erik wrote:People report success with the latest comskip build and starting comskip to process a .wtv file 10 minutes after the recording has started.
It kind of bugs me that you forced the latest comskip releases to wait 10 minutes before processing a file. I never had any issues with it and, as I said above, which you quoted from one of my other posts;

"The proper way to make DVRMSToolbox wait is by going into DVRMStoMPEGSettings and then clicking on the File Watcher tab. Look for the field called Wait Time (Min) and change it to 10 minutes (or more - 10 minutes has always worked for me)."

If people are having an issue with Comskip processing and DVRMS-Toolbox they should adjust the setting in the Toolbox - it shouldn't be hard-coded into comskip. It's like punishing me with a 10 minute delay for every recording just because other folks don't know how to use the Toolbox :(
erik
Site Admin

Post by erik »

In next build everything will be user settable
marvin-miller

Post by marvin-miller »

Thanks Erik - I think that's the better way to go :)
erik
Site Admin

Post by erik »

Available now, build 0.81.049