Troubleshooting comskip vs recording error

Here you can ask your questions on how to use Comskip for the detection of commercials. Also questions on how to remove commercials are welcome
donator73ag

Troubleshooting comskip vs recording error

Post by donator73ag »

I am using DVRMSToolbox 1.2.2.5 with DTBAddin1007, Comskip 81-056 and some shows process completely with proper commercial detection (xml) files and others do not. This has been going on for maybe a couple months. At first it was a mild annoyance but now I am getting frustrated at how often the process fails. I wish I could say for sure but I think about the same time I started getting a stutter in the recordings and I'm not sure why.

This on a dedicated HTPC Intel I3, 8GB RAM, Windows 7 Home 64 bit, 2 2TB hard drives. Avermedia A188 tuner card with OTA TV. D drive is archival and C has 881 GB free

Today I dropped a WTV file that didn't process properly onto ComskipGUI.exe and found errors, truncated file.

I didn't know what else to do so I captured a screen print, I'm not a techie.

Any help appreciated,

Craig
erik
Site Admin

Re: Troubleshooting comskip vs recording error

Post by erik »

Set
verbose=10
in your comskip.ini file and drag and drop the recording on ComskipGUI.exe
then look for the .log file generated in the same folder as the recording with the same basename as the recording.
Look for lines saying "video jumped"
The amount of frames jumped should be small and the message should not appear more then a couple of times.
If the jumps are big of the message appears often there is a problem with the recording.
YOu should motice this during playback as the video/sound sometimes would freeze.
McGuyver

Post by McGuyver »

This topic seems to fit my problem.

I have a recording that switches back and forth between progressive and telecine and I do see the "video jumped" line in the log file 194 times.
The frames listed in the .txt file do not work with cutting program that I am using. The only way I found to get around it without user interaction is to re-encode the video to get a progressive video.
erik
Site Admin

Post by erik »

Comskip used the encoded timeline inside the recording to know "where" something happens in time.
If there are many jumpes or breaks in this timeline there is longer a good reference for time so comskip will no longer work reliable.
Indeed does the re-encoding help because it will also repair the timeline.
There are some tools that can repair the timeline without re-encoding.
I think videoredo has some tools for that. Try the free trial.