Tuning without Logos

To discuss the tuning of comskip and for posting your ini files
chico

Tuning without Logos

Post by chico »

Hi - I'm working on a new comskip.ini file for a local channel that broadcasts no logos. I'm having to dive into the tuning process deeper than I've done before. I'm getting good cut points, but having issues trying to get the scoring correct. Kind of fun, a bit frustrating, lots to learn :)

Questions:

1) When I run comskip as per the Tuning Comskip document, I get the proper graphical display, but the video frame only shows the last frame of the show. It doesn't change as I move the timeline cursor around. Should it? What might I be doing wrong?

2) When I press F4 to Reduce Average Brightness, a show segment that was incorrectly marked as commercial changes to the correct marking. Where can I find the Average Brightness setting (the actual value) that produced this change? I couldn't find it in the log...

Thanks...chico

ps. I'm using Comskip version 81.053 (donators) because no later versions will work on my .mpg files. I notice .053 has disappeared from the FTP site. Is there an issue with this version that might cause me problems?
chico

Re: Tuning without Logos

Post by chico »

2) When I press F4 to Reduce Average Brightness, a show segment that was incorrectly marked as commercial changes to the correct marking. Where can I find the Average Brightness setting (the actual value) that produced this change? I couldn't find it in the log...
Answered this one myself. I finally saw the changes written to the graphics window. Doh. :oops:
erik
Site Admin

Post by erik »

Build 0.81.053 had difficulty repositioning the video.
Maybe that is why you only see the last frame.

Could you upload a short recording to my ftp server so I can check why comskip can't read it?
chico

Post by chico »

erik wrote:Could you upload a short recording to my ftp server so I can check why comskip can't read it?
Hi Erik - I'm uploading a folder entitled "comskip_prob_15Dec13" to the "chico" folder on your server. It contains a trimmed copy of a typical problem .mpg file. This file is a show recorded by EyeTV. It will properly comskip with versions 81.053 and earlier. It fails to comskip with later versions.

I've enclosed a comskip log file generated on my system using this file with version 81.053 and another log file generated with version 81.056. You can see that comskip functions correctly with the .053 version but fails with the .056 version, generating the non-stop repeating messages "Video jumped by 1.0 frames at frame 0, repairing timeline."

I was hoping that recent updates to the EyeTV application would resolve this issue but they haven't. I don't know if it's something that can be fixed on the comskip end or if it needs to be brought to the attention of the EyeTV developers. I would be grateful for any information that would help resolve the issue.

Please let me know if I can provide any more files or information.

Thanks much, Erik....

chico
erik
Site Admin

Post by erik »

Can you test build 0.81.057 uploaded today?
It seems to have solved the bug on the recording you uploaded
chico

Post by chico »

erik wrote:Can you test build 0.81.057 uploaded today?
Thanks, erik. I have been and am currently out of computer internet range (poor cell phone coverage only) so it'll be a few days before I can get to it.

I'll post back when I return to civilization...

--- chico
chico

Post by chico »

erik wrote:Can you test build 0.81.057 uploaded today?
Ah, I'm finally back in civilization. Great to be connected again. :wink:

Beautiful, Erik, indeed 0.81.057 works on the bad files. I have further testing to do but the first file I've tried works, while it failed previously.

Can you share any details about the problem? Was there something funky about the EyeTV .mpeg format? I'm curious.

Thanks for the effort. Comskip is great!

...chico
erik
Site Admin

Post by erik »

The stream decoder made a mistake in detecting the initial PTS messing up the total timeline
I added some code that looked at the PTS of the first couple of frames to see if they made sense and if not correct it.
chico

Post by chico »

erik wrote:The stream decoder made a mistake in detecting the initial PTS messing up the total timeline
I added some code that looked at the PTS of the first couple of frames to see if they made sense and if not correct it.
Got it. So I guess when I recompressed the video it must have changed something to allow the original code to work...thanks for the fix.

Two tuning questions:

1) After running comskip and generating the tuning window, when I move the cursor to anywhere on the timeline, no video frame appears. The message window of comskip.gui.exe says:

Code: Select all

[h.264 @ 064295e0] Missing Reference Picture, default is 0
      [h.264 @ 064295e0] decode_slice_header error
Am I not setting things up correctly prior to tuning (perhaps in my .ini file)?

2) The tuning window menu says F2, F3 and F4 REDUCE max_vol, non-uniformity and max_avg_brightness levels respectively. Is there a key combination to INCREASE these values while tuning?

Thanks...

chico
erik
Site Admin

Post by erik »

If the initial time code is wrong (and it seems to be that way) the preview in the debug window may fail big time.

Better to edit comskip.ini manually and try some different values.

Even better to set
output_framearray=1
run comskip to generate the .csv file and then use that one for quicker turn around.
chico

Post by chico »

Thanks...