EDL file format output - incorrect

Where all the bugs are reported and discussed
srthimsen

EDL file format output - incorrect

Post by srthimsen »

I am getting strange output for EDL files while using 81.058 donators version. I've changed the skipping function in the .ini file to output a "3" in the EDL file (edl_skip_field=3), as I'm using XBMC, but it was doing the same before with "0" as default.

I'm also using MCEBuddy, but have linked it to the donator version listed above.

The format I'm getting is a single line of data, with the frames of detected commercials (start/stop) and the number "3", but the number 3 is right next to the frame number, and XBMC is not reading it as a result.

Example:
0.0 22.5 3150.2 175.5 3

Rather than starting a new line at "150.2", it sticks it rights next to the "3" from the previous cut point. If I manually add a line at the appropriate spots, XBMC reads it correctly.
Jagad

Re: EDL file format output - incorrect

Post by Jagad »

Yes, you are right! If bringing up the edl in notepad all line feeds are gone, but if opening it in notepad++ line feeds are there. Strange indeed!
erik
Site Admin

Post by erik »

The edl output format is binary compatible with Linux implying there is no CRLF but only LF separating the lines.
Notepad++ understands this format as native Linux (actually UNIX) and displays correctly where notepad is a Microsoft windows program thus lacking any understanding of a would outside Microsoft.
I changed the format on request of Linux users.
Do I need to change it back to Windows format?
Jagad

Post by Jagad »

erik wrote:Do I need to change it back to Windows format?
No, not necessarily, because you could have both! Just let Comskip check which OS it is runned on and adapt/condition the EDL output format accordingly. If Comskip takes a direction not supporting Windows anymore and breaking support for all Windows based players using EDLs would be unfortunate.
erik
Site Admin

Post by erik »

Does wine tell you that you are using Linux?
I don't know anything about wine
Jagad

Post by Jagad »

erik wrote:Does wine tell you that you are using Linux?
I don't know anything about wine
I don't know anything about wine either. However my thought was something like this:

Code: Select all

#ifdef __linux__ 
    //linux code goes here
#elif _WIN32 || _WIN64
    //windows code goes here
#else
   //as far as I understand wine emulates windows code so I suppose windows code goes here  
#endif

Maybe it doesn't work cross-platform...?
erik
Site Admin

Post by erik »

Nope.
The windows executable is used both on windows, linux and mac
Jagad

Post by Jagad »

Ah, I now see the problem! Wine developers refuses to make wine reliability detectable mainly cuz they don't want windows app programmers start blocking wine users from utilizing windows software and they are also afraid of cross-platform viruses attacking linux. Well, that makes it quite difficult and I suppose a two version Comskip, one for windows and one for wine is not the preferrable way to go here. I was reading up on the matter and in order to detect wine one should instead try to detect if functionality exists. There are a number of ways here:
http://wiki.winehq.org/DeveloperFaq#hea ... 05ac02f350
http://www.winehq.org/pipermail/wine-de ... 69387.html
http://forum.winehq.org/viewtopic.php?p=25906

So there might actually be possible to accomplish the conditioning after all.

However they say any method to detect running under Wine is unsupported and may break without warning in the future.
IMHO i think it's unfair, given these prerequisites, that linux users are prioritized when it comes to Comskip EDL output format that it has gone so far even breaking windows players edl support. If they refuse having an official way to detect wine through a macro or whatever why bother with them...comskip is after all a windows software. Just my two cents.

/Jagad
erik
Site Admin

Post by erik »

Is EDL output not working on windows e.g. does ffmpeg not accept the input?
Or is it only a notepad problem?
Jagad

Post by Jagad »

Huge mistake on my end. I was assuming based solely on threadstarters words that XBMC failed reading the EDL. I am not using EDLs and XBMC myself, but VPrjs and Videoredo. Decided to install XBMC and check for myself and it reads the EDL just fine and nothing wrong if using cuts or skipping either. I dont know if this is the case for other windows EDL players as well. Wont install them and find out. Sorry for wasting your time on this totally unnecessary quest. Dont know what TS meant with his bugreport. I can live with notepad EDLs dont have line feeds just fine and sorry for sticking my nose into something i shouldnt have.

Regards
Jagad
erik
Site Admin

Post by erik »

No problem
Even I sometimes forget why I implemented certain features.