Logo detection of shows that are just a portion of a file

Where all the user feedback and suggestions for improvements go
Horkonaut

Logo detection of shows that are just a portion of a file

Post by Horkonaut »

I am using: donator Comskip 0.81.069

Sometimes TV shows do not start on time because earlier in the day, a sporting event caused the network's lineup to be delayed. So for some shows, I have resorted to recording an extra hour to make sure I get the whole video.

I have tuned comskip to work on particular shows, and it works great. However, if the video file consists of the show that I want, plus an extra hour of other video, sometimes my tuning parameters start to fail. The reason the parameters fail is because the show that I want to watch needs logo detection to be enabled in order for comskip to work properly. However, the other parts of the video rarely show the logo. So what happens is that comskip's "Logo fraction" value will be too small and so it will automatically disable the logo detection for the whole file.

I would like the following feature(s) to be added to comskip:

force_logo_detection=1 ; Forces comskip to use logo detection even if the "Logo fraction" value is too small

and/or

start_analyze=1000 ; comskip will start analyzing video frames 1,000 seconds into the video file
end_analyze=4600 ; comskip will end analyzing video frames 4,600 seconds into the video file

Option 1 would be preferable to option 2 because I wouldn't have to manually play the video file to determine the cut-in and cut-out points for comskip to analyze.

Obviously another solution is for me to manually edit the file and truncate it before giving it to comskip to analyze. However, I am using Windows Media Center and it records .wtv files. Editing these files is not trivial apparently, as there is only one software package that I can find that is able to read a .wtv file, edit it, and then write a .wtv file. Also, this would require that I manually inspect the video file (something that I would like to avoid if possible) and have multiple copies of these video files on disk (at least temporarily).

Thanks for reading.
erik
Site Admin

Re: Logo detection of shows that are just a portion of a fil

Post by erik »

Thanks for the suggestion

WOuld it be op to make the logo fraction threshold tunable?
Such as

min_logo_fraction=0.3
Horkonaut

Post by Horkonaut »

Yes, a min_logo_fraction parameter would be great. I have seen the fraction as low as 0.07 in some cases where I still want comskip to use logo detection.
u238bigd

Post by u238bigd »

Yes Yes Yes to this. I'd love to have a min logo fraction, because I've seen the exact same thing where a segment has a logo of .07 and still was marked as show which wasn't correct. Most of the legitimate show segments have logo % in the .90 or at least 0.75 so I was surprised to see something with such a low logo % being marked as show.