File naming in .vprj

Where all the bugs are reported and discussed
Gripweed

File naming in .vprj

Post by Gripweed »

With VAP and VideoReDo I processed a file named Chef Roblé & Co._BRAVOHD_2013_07_24_20_00_00.wtv. It was turned into Chef Roblé & Co._BRAVOHD_2013_07_24_20_00_00.mpg. Using Donator Comskip 0.81.056 on it the file Chef Roblé & Co._BRAVOHD_2013_07_24_20_00_00.vprj was produced. When VAP/VideoReDo tried to remove the commercials using the .vprj it failed as file not found. Examining the .vprj shows the first few lines as...

<Version>2
<Filename>S:\VAtemp\Chef Roblé & Co._BRAVOHD_2013_07_24_20_00_00.mpg
<Cut>0:72405667
<Cut>7234227000:8627285333
<Cut>14817135667:15566551000

Somehow the "é" got mis-translated into "é".
Jagad

Re: File naming in .vprj

Post by Jagad »

Problem is Videoredo doesn't support Unicode filenames yet. Comskip outputs all VPrj containing special characters to UTF-8 without BOM. To make it work you must convert your VPrj to ANSI first before loading it in VRD. Or, if you're not in a hurry, ask around on Videoredo forum when they plan to Unicode their software.
Gripweed

Post by Gripweed »

Thank you so much for the insight. I'm surprised I haven't run into this previously.
I went to the Videoredo forum and I see that the topic of Unicode has come up quite a bit and there have been some heated posts sent. They say it's on their to-do list. I'll accept it at that because it may be years before it affects me again. I could see where I'm one of the lucky ones using US English. Those that live in places where using Unicode is common aren't so lucky with Videoredo. They really need to up the priority of that on the to-do list. It's a big world out there.
JavaWiz

Post by JavaWiz »

Same problem here with a filename in the .vprj xml file. After talking to the VideoRedo help they suggested the following:
So in the project XML it needs to be replaced with & VideoReDo does this automatically when it saves a project, so I'm guessing this project came form some 3rd party software.
In my case the generated .vprj xml was:
<Filename>D:\PVR\Recordings\TVShows\Secrets and Lies\Secrets & Lies.S04E67.The Affair.ts</Filename><CutList>
which fails.

However, when manually changed to:
<Filename>D:\PVR\Recordings\TVShows\Secrets and Lies\Secrets & Lies.S04E67.The Affair.ts</Filename><CutList>
it works.

Can comskip replace all '&' in the filename xml tag with '&' ?
Jagad

Post by Jagad »

There are a few more special XML chars besides the ampersand that has to be escaped:

Code: Select all

for key, val in [["&", "&"], [">", ">"], ["<", "<"], ["%", "&#37;"]]      ;Escape special XML characters 
		  StringReplace, ParamEsc, ParamEsc, % val.1, % val.2, All
Interesting thing is what has changed in Videoredo 5 and why? Opening projects with ampersand in filenames works fine in V4. Why cant the Videoredo guys do the escaping in V5 as they did in V4?
erik
Site Admin

Post by erik »

Thanks, when my build environment is working again I will adapt.
Jagad

Post by Jagad »

erik wrote:Thanks, when my build environment is working again I will adapt.
Erik, you should know escaping of special XML chars breaks support for the videoredo2 format (the format used for videoredo v4). Since V4 definitely are using an escape routine when opening projects putting in already escaped file names makes V4 throw the dredded unknow file error. So, this should only be used for the videoredo3 format.

Man, these guys at videoredo seems to be quite moronic. Its bad enough they havent managed to Unicode it yet. Im starting to doubt they know how to do it. Now to make things even worse they seem to have problems to throw on a simple filename escape routine for V5. Dont know the reasons behind it, but for a company who very much likes to sell their software to Europeans (where most of the languages are full of special chars) they are comming across as very dumb and unserious.