Does Comskip work on US programing?

To discuss the tuning of comskip and for posting your ini files
marjamar

Does Comskip work on US programing?

Post by marjamar »

I have the donator version of this and just cannot get it to work well enough to use. I have tried many different INI files for specific broadcasts, and have not had a single title (out of maybe 50 or so I tried) cut properly. It seems it is all more or less hit or miss. I have a library of about 1000 TV shows (an counting) on my PLEX server, and would love to have them commercial free. But, I don't want parts and pieces of the TV show lost to faulty commercial cuts.

Is there any answer to this?

Thanks.

-Rodger
erik
Site Admin

Re: Does Comskip work on US programing?

Post by erik »

Did you try the ini file that where posted in this forum?
If they fail there is something particular in your recordings.
Do follow the "how to ask for help" post and I will have a look
kirzan

Post by kirzan »

I use a digital antenna to receive my TV. I've been struggling for a long time with tweaking the comskip.ini file. I finally tweaked it so I get nearly perfect results. I'm not sure how you are receiving your channels, but if you would like to take a look at (or use) my ini file, I'll be happy to post it. I'm using comskip with DVRMSToolbox for Windows Media Center. I don't cut the commercials out, I just mark them and DVRMSToolbox skips them automatically. I'm not very trusting when it comes to cutting chunks out of my recordings! I have no idea how that would work for Plex.
muranoone

Post by muranoone »

I would love for you to post your ini file. I had it perfect then had to do reinstall and lost it.

it would help out a lot.

Thanks in advance
Robert
nnnmmm

Post by nnnmmm »

kirzan wrote:I use a digital antenna to receive my TV. I've been struggling for a long time with tweaking the comskip.ini file. I finally tweaked it so I get nearly perfect results. I'm not sure how you are receiving your channels, but if you would like to take a look at (or use) my ini file, I'll be happy to post it. I'm using comskip with DVRMSToolbox for Windows Media Center. I don't cut the commercials out, I just mark them and DVRMSToolbox skips them automatically. I'm not very trusting when it comes to cutting chunks out of my recordings! I have no idea how that would work for Plex.
Kirzan, Yes, please post your .ini file!

Eric, can an admin email Kirzan that there is interest in his US programming .ini file?

Thanks!
erik
Site Admin

Post by erik »

everyone can post ini files in the COuntry INI files section of the forum.
There are already some very good tuned ini files for various countries
GoPack

Post by GoPack »

Was there ever an answer to this, sorry to revive a dated thread but there is no OTA ini file posted in the country section that I found and my experience is the same as the original poster and almost identical use case. I record from antenna with HDHomerun DVR. I added mcebuddy donator version with comskip donator to rename, cut commercials and move to the appropriate folders for plex. I have wasted A LOT of time just trying to tweak comskip to run reliably. it either doesnt get them all or cuts too much. maybe 1 out of 20 is perfect. very frustrating. I feel like it is almost ready to be reliable with the lone hold out being getting comskip to work right 90% of the time. I have read almost all the how to's, the FAQ etc. I havent felt like i have anything to submit on "requesting help " because its just sporadic. Woudl love to try the INI of someone who feels like they have OTA Broadcast in the US locked in. Specifically ABC, CW, CBS, METV/ Those or the 4 main ones i record.
joelshort

Post by joelshort »

GoPack wrote:Was there ever an answer to this, sorry to revive a dated thread but there is no OTA ini file posted in the country section that I found and my experience is the same as the original poster and almost identical use case. I record from antenna with HDHomerun DVR. I added mcebuddy donator version with comskip donator to rename, cut commercials and move to the appropriate folders for plex. I have wasted A LOT of time just trying to tweak comskip to run reliably. it either doesnt get them all or cuts too much. maybe 1 out of 20 is perfect. very frustrating. I feel like it is almost ready to be reliable with the lone hold out being getting comskip to work right 90% of the time. I have read almost all the how to's, the FAQ etc. I havent felt like i have anything to submit on "requesting help " because its just sporadic. Woudl love to try the INI of someone who feels like they have OTA Broadcast in the US locked in. Specifically ABC, CW, CBS, METV/ Those or the 4 main ones i record.
This is exactly where I'm at. There are no OTA broadcasts INI's in the country specific forum. As things stand right now, comskip is totally unuseable for me.

I would be very grateful if the person who offered to post their INI in this thread would do so. Thanks!
erik
Site Admin

Post by erik »

I mailed him