Com skip .txt and .edl files are considerably different.

Here you can ask your questions on how to use Comskip for the detection of commercials. Also questions on how to remove commercials are welcome
zigzag930

Com skip .txt and .edl files are considerably different.

Post by zigzag930 »

Using the latest d/l of com skip to create .txt and .edl files

With nextpvr on w7 using the .txt files, com skip is just about right on.

With XnewA or Kodi default players (15.2), using .edl files com skip is way off (about 8-10 seconds too early on start and end of commercials).

Why is this? How do I correct the .edl files only and leave the .txt files alone?
erik
Site Admin

Re: Com skip .txt and .edl files are considerably different.

Post by erik »

Is it off on all files or only specific?
is it always the same amount off?
When you convert the seconds in the edl file to frames using the framerate in the txt file, do you get the same numbers?
zigzag930

Post by zigzag930 »

It is off on the three files I have tested so far.

I had set padding to 2 to get the playback where I wanted it on NextPVR windows playback. All the Kodi playback (via video/file or xnewa) is off just about 10 seconds for every start and stop point. This is consistent on every show I have tested. If I edit the .edl file and add 10 to every time, it plays great. So does that mean it's off 8, 10 or 12 seconds considering the 2 second pad?

When I convert the frames to seconds (using 29.97), the come out exactly correct.

I have turned on .csv files to retest quicker if that helps.

Thank you
J

PS I am using a HDHomerun Extend OTA tuner to create these files. Another user has suggested they might have a bug in their timing? Not sure about that.

Only other thing I noticed is that the total play time (in Kodi) shows much shorter than the actual play time, when com skip file (.edl) is present.
For instance, a 32 min show reports 21 minutes, even though it actually plays past the 21 minutes to the correct endpoint.
erik
Site Admin

Post by erik »

Please check if edl and txt output are the same by converting the frame numbers in the .txt file to seconds in the edl file.
Its possible that the start time of the first frame is not zero so please check if this is the case
zigzag930

Post by zigzag930 »

If I use 29.97 fps the conversion to seconds is correct
erik
Site Admin

Post by erik »

Then there must be something wrong with the player that reads the .edl file
zigzag930

Post by zigzag930 »

Erik,

I would have to agree that CS seems to be doing it's job correctly and that the issue is likely on the player side.

If I want to shift the start/end of the commercials by 10 seconds, will padding do this?

That may be a workaround until I can figure out why Xnewa and NextPVR (Kodi Client) aren't syncing correctly.

Thanks for your assistance.
J
erik
Site Admin

Post by erik »

No, it wont
Padding is about increasing the commercial size, not shifting the commercials.