Short "Show Logo" clip in middle of comercial break...

Here you can ask your questions on how to use Comskip for the detection of commercials. Also questions on how to remove commercials are welcome
pcon2009

Short "Show Logo" clip in middle of comercial break...

Post by pcon2009 »

Hi everyone! I am new to Comskip, but have been learning a bit over the past few days. One of the problems I am having with the commercial detection is when a show has a short clip in the middle of a commercial break (as if the station is just reminding you, "Hey you are watching XYZ show...") it seems to be detected as the end of the break, and the commercials AFTER this screen are treated as show. Any commercials BEFORE this screen are cutting out quite nicely. Usually the clip lasts around 5 seconds or so and shows the logo/name of the program. Two shows I have noticed this on (so far) are Jeopardy! and King of the Kill reruns, but if I recall Big Bang Theory also does this sometimes, with the later being a show I would actually want to record on a regular basis. Any recommendations for what settings I could tweak so that Comskip will see this short clip as just another commercial, and cut out the whole block of commercials which it is contained in, and not cut only before this screen? Thanks!

(PS, I have been running Comskip through MCEBuddy, so if more information is needed to diagnose this issue, please let me know how to locate it. I am not sure how/where to get the other informational file outputs from Comskip when running this way.)
erik
Site Admin

Re: Short "Show Logo" clip in middle of comercial break...

Post by erik »

Do select one or two recordings that have the problem you describe and follow the "how to ask for help" post and I will have a look
pcon2009

Post by pcon2009 »

Thanks for your reply! To be honest, since I posted the question, I have been doing a lot more tweaking and am getting much better results though still not quite there. I will have to double check if this is still a problem that I am having, as it may have been fixed while playing with settings for other recordings.

I *think* the issue may be that sometimes networks use the same logo that appears during the show during a few other bits of ad content. For example, when an NBC show is advertising for a different NBC show, the logo is present causing it to be detected. I can't recall if the logo was present during these title-cards or show-reminder "we'll be right back" type screens, but as I said, I will double check this and if I am still having problems, I will go ahead and follow "how to ask for help".

Thank you so much for your time and effort on this project! I know I am a bit late to the party having only (finally) purchased a tuner card about a week ago, but I am so excited you have continued to work on this project - absolutely love it already, and I am sure it will only get better with time! Overall, I am getting pretty decent results, there's just a few specific situations (ie, this one) that I am struggling with so any help is appreciated!
pcon2009

Post by pcon2009 »

Files have been sent via email. The .ref file is only changed on the second line (second show block) to add a section of frames that appear which include this "Show Logo" and the commercial(s) after it. The other cutpoints, on review through the ComskipGUI are dead on for this show, which is why I am hesitant to change too much more in my .ini file until I get your opinion on what I might be able to adjust ;)

Thanks!