Manually editting EDL files

Here you can ask your questions on how to use Comskip for the detection of commercials. Also questions on how to remove commercials are welcome
WarTV

Manually editting EDL files

Post by WarTV »

Most of the time I have no issue with my EDL files and the commercial skipping. However, occasionally it will not find a commercial or will end the commercial segment short. I use EDL files for Kodi, and use option 3 as Kodi has asked us to. My issue is that when editing these sometimes the commercial skipping no longer works. I always leave the 3 at the end, put tabs between every marker, and put a 3 at the beginning of every other marker except the first 2. Sometimes it works, sometimes it does not. If I do not edit the file at all though it always works
erik
Site Admin

Re: Manually editting EDL files

Post by erik »

Not sure what you are asking?
Is this a kodi problem or a comskip problem?
WarTV

Post by WarTV »

Not sure yet, honestly, but more likely a Kodi issue. Guys on Kodi haven't really helped yet, post has been up there for 2 days. I can tell you though that this issue usually pops up because comskip detects the end of a commercial late (I suspect its because the logo appears a few seconds late).
erik
Site Admin

Post by erik »

Can you post an EDL file that does not work?
WarTV

Post by WarTV »

I messed with it and even made a seperate EDL file for the same episode. For some reason that one worked. At first it did not. I am pretty sure but not 100% sure that I just closed Kodi and made no changes to it, when watching it later and it worked. Like you hinted to in your previous post. You doubt it is a ComSkip issue or even my formatting.

1056.41 1180.00 3
1459.81 1628.00 3
1960.00 2084.00 3
2739.02 2867.00 3
3194.81 3223.38 3

PS. Is there a way to upload the file?
erik
Site Admin

Post by erik »

File seems ok
Use the

Code: Select all

tags to include verbatim
I had to disable uploading files due to misuse.
BrettB

Post by BrettB »

WarTV wrote:Not sure yet, honestly, but more likely a Kodi issue. Guys on Kodi haven't really helped yet, post has been up there for 2 days. I can tell you though that this issue usually pops up because comskip detects the end of a commercial late (I suspect its because the logo appears a few seconds late).
I don't think that the Kodi developers actually use the edl functionality. It was completely removed when the last major release came out, but they did go back and re-implement some of the support.

I have also found that for some unknown reason kodi sometimes does not auto-skip the skip points. Most of the time it works. But sometimes, it just doesn't. I haven't been able to figure out any reason for it or been able to reproduce it at will to try to get debug logs. :-(
erik
Site Admin

Post by erik »

Kodi should implement .edl support as the .txt output works with frame numbers and these can not work in a non linear time line
.edl output is in seconds and much more reliable in those cases