Comskip crashing while processing live recordings

Here you can ask your questions on how to use Comskip for the detection of commercials. Also questions on how to remove commercials are welcome
spaceboy

Re: Comskip crashing while processing live recordings

Post by spaceboy »

btracy wrote:Are you asking how to put in the delay that will (hopefully) prevent your crash? If so, you need to modify you "Find Commercials In DVRMS" profile and add the Durrant.Plugins.Sleep action (set it for 5 minutes) and then move that action (now called "Sleep for 5 Minutes") to the top of the profile so it is acted upon first.
seems to have done the trick for me. i wasn't keen on the suggestion to reduce thread counts but it seems fine without it. thanks!
erik
Site Admin

Post by erik »

Just to be clear.
When Comskip is started 5 minutes AFTER the recording started comskip does NOT crash anymore?
btracy

Post by btracy »

Hey Erik.

Yes it never crashes when started 5 minutes after the recording starts.
erik
Site Admin

Post by erik »

Can other users with other broadcasters confirm?
spaceboy

Post by spaceboy »

i'm receiving UK Sky TV over DVB-S2 but i would need to test more to be sure. give me a day
onehabit

Post by onehabit »

I have Freesat (UK), A channel called ITV1 HD does not need any sleep and will not crash. Channel 5 (Standard Def) needs 10 minutes sleep for it not to crash (tried 5 minutes but still crashed however not as often as 0 minutes).
bmblank

Post by bmblank »

Is it just a matter of it crashing when it catches up to live tv? When its processing hd, it takes long enough to process they it never actually catches up. On standard def. it processes so quickly that comskip wants to be done before the show is done.
I'm sure people already thought of that, but sometimes its easy to overlook the simple stuff. I don't, however, have any idea how to fix.
Afaik i don't get any crashes, so i don't have anything useful to report. Sorry.
spaceboy

Post by spaceboy »

its still crashing for me on 5 mins delay. i still have thread count of 8.

on my previous build i had exactly the same set up and i don't think i saw this
btracy

Post by btracy »

I have Charter here and I only record HD. For me, a 5 minute delay on any recording is sufficient for it not to crash. My thread count is set to 1 and I don't use the live_tv flag currently but it wasn't crashing with the 5 minute delay when I did (I find live_tv to a bit too inaccurate for me). Watching the log file and when it would add to the commercial .xml file, it does catch up with my recordings not long after it starts the scan.
erik
Site Admin

Post by erik »

spaceboy wrote:its still crashing for me on 5 mins delay. i still have thread count of 8.

on my previous build i had exactly the same set up and i don't think i saw this
Can you try thread_count=1
spaceboy

Post by spaceboy »

i can do but i should note that this is not an acceptable long term solution for me. i bought an eight core machine for a reason!
erik
Site Admin

Post by erik »

How many programs do you record in paralel?
onehabit

Post by onehabit »

Just an update (and in response to bmblank), Channel ITV1 (SD) does crash while ITV1 HD doesn't, so bmblank might be onto something with the catchup differences between SD & HD.
spaceboy

Post by spaceboy »

regularly three at a time. will try thread reduction though

i don't think its that simple, my pc catches up with live tv whether its HD or not and i don't think it always crashes
erik
Site Admin

Post by erik »

spaceboy wrote:regularly three at a time. will try thread reduction though

i don't think its that simple, my pc catches up with live tv whether its HD or not and i don't think it always crashes
The real difference is between 1 and greater then 1.
So you only need to test with thread_count set to 1 to see if there is a difference.
The problem with thread_count > 1 is that the video decoder is not written to handle certain format changes under those conditions so the crash may be channel specific.