File size of free vs. Early Access executables

Here you can ask your questions on how to use Comskip for the detection of commercials. Also questions on how to remove commercials are welcome
dlflannery

File size of free vs. Early Access executables

Post by dlflannery »

I distribute a free version of ComSkip (comskip.exe, not the GUI version) with my program VideoReDoAutoProcessor (VAP, http://www.videoredo.net/msgBoard/showt ... or-Program ). I instruct users that have the Early Access version to substitute that comskip.exe and .ini file for the distributed versions.

VAP needs to know which comskip version is available and previously it has determined this by examining the file size, using a threshold of 3 MB. However it now appears, based on comskip81_060_donators.zip and comskip81_060.zip (free) distributed versions of comskip.exe, that the two versions now have the same file size (8,711 KB). Thus VAP is unable to determine whether a user is using the Early Access version.

Am I correct that the free and EA versions of comskip.exe are now the same size (so apparently EA features are enabled by a flag in the code)? If so can you suggest another way for VAP to detect the EA version?

One idea I have is as follows:
One of the text lines output by comskip.exe launched with no arguments says either "Public Build" or "Donator Build". I should be able to use that, although the file size method was a lot simpler. It will help me to know if this text is output via StdErr or StdOut.

TIA
erik
Site Admin

Re: File size of free vs. Early Access executables

Post by erik »

Second line of the log file (which is also written to stdout, unless you enabled quite mode) of the public version says
Generated using public Comskip 0.81.060

Second line of the donator version says
Generated using donator Comskip 0.81.060

Furthermore comskip writes to stderr second line
Donator build
or
Public build
regardless of the log file setting, so even when no log file is created
dlflannery

Re: File size of free vs. Early Access executables

Post by dlflannery »

Thanks erik!