H264 & MPEG2 WTV Support - my reliable solution

Here you can ask your questions on how to use Comskip for the detection of commercials. Also questions on how to remove commercials are welcome
McGiverGim

Re: H264 & MPEG2 WTV Support - my reliable solution

Post by McGiverGim »

I use a lot comskip with livetv. In a first stage it will be ok without support of it, but it will be great if it will be supported in a future...

If you want, I can make some tests of livetv support in different beta versions.

Regards!
sheppy99

Post by sheppy99 »

I'll happily help test live tv but I wonder whether the decoding speed will be an issue with hd h264
TonyXL

Post by TonyXL »

McGiverGim wrote:I use a lot comskip with livetv. In a first stage it will be ok without support of it, but it will be great if it will be supported in a future...

If you want, I can make some tests of livetv support in different beta versions.
I agree. Any WTV decoding (even if not live) would be welcome. However, I would really look forward to live WTV decoding.

It should be similar to live dvr-ms, in that comskip.ini needs standoff/retries since the .wtv file allocates space ahead of the stream. From my experimentation, it would need to be quite high (~510MB standoff), which for HD video results in a ~5 minute lag (but that's still better than waiting for the show to end).

I can help test if needed (USA MPEG-2).
jason_ruz

Post by jason_ruz »

Wow, any kind of comskip support for .WTV will be amazing. I hardly ever used Live TV skipping so I wouldn't mind if it's missing. I've missed being able to use comskip so much!
erik
Site Admin

Post by erik »

First version with .WTV support is almost ready.
No live TV support
Debugwindow still has major problems.

Any users willing to help debugging?
jason_ruz

Post by jason_ruz »

Count me in to help out with the testing! Thanks.
McGiverGim

Post by McGiverGim »

I'm ready too :mrgreen:
TonyXL

Post by TonyXL »

erik wrote: Any users willing to help debugging?
I'd be happy to test it out on my wtv's.
erik
Site Admin

Post by erik »

3 is enough for the moment.
Will PM you with download details
JustinChase

Post by JustinChase »

dbjorck wrote:But converting to mpg must take some time?
erik wrote:You can use 320x200 output resolution. This reduces the conversion time substantially and its sufficient for comskip
As an alternative to consider; I've been using a program called MC-TVConverter to convert wtv files to mpg for me. It "converts" an hour long wtv to mpg in about 5 minutes, maybe less. It uses tsMuxer (I think) to just strip out the mpg stream. it will watch a folder for you, and auto-convert, and even move and/or rename the mpg and/or the original file to a different folder if you want (or not).

It also has the ability to use comskip on the mpg when finished and output the log files (mostly) just like DRVMStoolbox. the only thing I'm missing is the ability to have the .xml file put into a different folder from the 2 where the actual files are located.

I have DVRMStoolbox putting the .xml files into E:\Commercials, and DTBaddin reads them fine from here and auto-skips the original wtv files fine when watching in WMC. Very slick indeed.

I can then delete the mpg files, or use VideoReDo to clean them for archival purposes.

If I could figure out how to get the comskip .xml files to output someplace other than the same place where the mpg resides (as DRVMStoolbox is able to do somehow), I could remove DRVMStoolbox from the whole process.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1115

I'd need to confirm DTBaddin works fine without it, but assuming it does; I'm really close to being able to watch an autoskipped wtv file in WMC within an hour of it finishing recording with NO INPUT from me :)

mctvconverter.vivolum.net

the 2.1 beta just enabled the ability to NOT use/run comclean after comskip, which is better for me, and faster :) I don't think it's public yet, but an email to the author would likely get you access, if you care to try.
erik
Site Admin

Post by erik »

Today I released build 81.011 for the donators only
This experimental version can decode .wtv files.
There are a number of open issues in this release.
- No support for Live TV
- Sometimes the debugwindow can only position on I frames.
- No support for CC are other forms of subtitles.
- Some other features may be broken as this has been a huge rewrite.
McGiverGim

Post by McGiverGim »

Hi Erik. Does this version solve some of the problems of the beta?

- Crash in some files
- Wrong position for commercials detected (some seconds ahead the real point)

Regards!
healthyemily

Post by healthyemily »

i know a step by step guide on how to convert WTV to various video format at http://www.bigasoft.com/articles/how-to ... v-mpg.html

it applies to:
Convert WTV to AVI or WTV to WMV to playback on Windows Media Player, Xbox 360, Microsoft Zune, Pocket PC, Dell Axim, HP iPaq, etc
Convert WTV to MP4 (MPEG-4) to playback on iPod, iPhone, Android Phone, Archos AV500, BlackBerry, Archos AV700, Archos Gmini402, iRiver PMP-100, Creative Zen, Vision, Zune and so on
Convert WTV to MPG (MPEG-1) to import to PowerPoint presentation for Windows or Mac
Convert WTV to MOV to import to QuickTime, iTunes, iMovie, Final Cut Pro and more
Convert WTV to MKV to playback HD on WDTV Media Player
Convert WTV to 3GPP to playback on Nokia and other mobile phone
Convert WTV to WebM, MPEG-2, DivX, Xvid , 3GP, FLV, F4V, ASF, H.264, RM, VP8, MOD, TOD, MTS, TS, 720p, 1080p, HD videos and more
erik
Site Admin

Post by erik »

McGiverGim wrote:Hi Erik. Does this version solve some of the problems of the beta?

- Crash in some files
- Wrong position for commercials detected (some seconds ahead the real point)

Regards!
The crash in some files is still there as this is a decoder problem too complex for me to solve. Hope next versions of the decoder will be more stable.
I tried to improve the detection position. Would like to receive feedback on actual performance.
axiom

Post by axiom »

I am just starting to learn and setup comskip to work with MC-TVConverter so need some help. Using the latest donators ' version I cannot seem to make the h264 WTV file process and remove ads. I am replacing the comskip.exe in the MC-TVConverter\tools\Comskip directory with the latest version of comskip.exe but it produces nothing. Although, processing it thru drag-and-drop method generates txt/vprj files (I have output_videoredo=1 in comskip.ini). Can somebody help me make this work with MC-TVConverter? Thanks